Sunday, April 10, 2011

Community. We need it.

With a bit of a fight, we made our way to Bread of Life Church. The service was good, but long… too long for my grandmom to handle so ended up sneaking out early to start our journey to the hospital.
My gramps was in a pissy mood when we got there. He wanted to continue sleeping so went down to the basement food court/mall area. I am pretty tired of Asian food so I requested some McD’s, which my mom and grandmom seemed happy to have as well. As I wander to and fro my gramps room and the basement area, my heart aches for all the young people and children wandering the halls with their parents. Who knows what their story is, but I can’t help but feel sad and compassion towards these kids and young people and their families.

When we went back up, my gramps was still not happy. He refuses to eat and drink anything. He’s ALL skin and bones – I mean, his legs… wow… it doesn’t look like there is any fat or muscle under that skin – just bone. My grandma, my mom, the helper lady, nor me… we just can’t get him to eat as he refuses angrily. At one point he fought back saying there’s poison in the drinks… then he retorted back to us asking if we wanted him to die. Oh man.. not so pleasant conversations, if you can even call it a conversation. There was nothing we could do, and he was pissy and not enough room to sit, so I decided to head down to the food court – to Mr. Brown coffee shop. I walked away into the elevator and through the basement wiping away the tears in my eyes, not sure whether I was sad for him, feeling helpless, or all of the above.
skype time with pops

My mom came down shortly afterwards and we had family skype time with my brother and dad.  We had dinner at my aunt’s place tonight. She moved back to Taiwan from the states in the last year. We trekked back to my grandmom’s place afterwards.

I think this will be the gist of my trip to Taiwan. I love Taiwan… the food… the streets.. the city… I love exploring the city, and even just wandering to different coffee shops to hang out or even work. But, I have a feeling I’ll just be going to and fro from grandmom’s place to the hospital, wandering b/w the hospital room and the basement shops and Mr. Brown coffee at the hospital. Unfortunately the hospital is kind of out there… but thankful that I can be here to spend with family.

Praying that I can have a heart to heart with gramps tomorrow… praying that He would give me the words to say.  How do you share with a man who's lost the will to live... at least that's what it seemed like yesterday.  I wish He had Community around him... I wish I had Community here... Need to spend more time with Him... and with him.

No comments: