Saturday, April 23, 2011

exploring luoyang

We finally arrived in Zhengzhou late last night and stayed up late at the hotel to unpack and repack a smaller suitcase for us to travel out of for the next couple days as mom and I explore the Luoyang area. We’re coming back to Zhengzhou where we’ll be picked up by my parents’ driver person to take us back to where they live in Heze, China.

Mom and I jumped on a 2.5 hour bus ride to Luoyang. I was impressed by the highway we took – so clean, new, and orderly! We were both impressed by how green and scenic the ride was, with trees lining the roadways, and green fields in the background. I hate comparing things to America but for good or for bad, that’s the standard my mind automatically jumps to. Quite nice… much nicer than most turnpikes/highways in the tristate area I’m from.

original city wall/entrance
We checked into our hotel and wandered around the area. We were both quite tired as we didn’t sleep much last night, so it’s been a low key day, wandering and figuring out the game plan for the next couple days. Tonight we went to the old city area where they have markets and stores. We tried a couple of food stalls and then ended up at KFC. My mom was not so up for trying all the street food – both my parents are pretty not adventurous on that end as they are into clean and safe (dad studied immunology…). I guess that’s not such a bad thing – the daily runs started shortly after setting foot in China and finally stopped after I got to Taiwan. Sorry TMI… My parents will eat the street food in Taiwan, but not on the mainland. I guess I can understand why but that won’t stop me.
old luoyang city night market


night market food with mom
My grandmom has called in a panic the past couple of days asking my mom about her finances... where she's hid things, etc. Gosh she really needs to learn to trust people with her things. I wish she would put her full faith in Him. He needs to be that center of her life. Only He can change her… all I can do is pray…

full day tomorrow as we head to Shaolin Temple and Longmen Grottos.

No comments: