Monday, April 4, 2011

Enroute to Taiyuan

This morning I headed out, large backpack in the back, smaller pack in the front, baby carrier style. Trekked out to the subway station and made my way through the jam packed station onto the train. In China, some… many babies are fond of wearing these “kai dang ku” – imagine sweat pants with a large split where the butt crack is located. The train is jam packed so I’m pushed to standing spot only in the middle of the train car. I push my way in and create space on the floor for my large backpack. In the seat in front of me is a young couple, their baby, and the baby’s grandma. I stare at this baby’s bum, exposed by his kai dang ku. The next thing I know, there is a puddle of liquid on the floor of the train by his parents feet. As the subway rocks its way down the tracks, the puddle begins to flow. I prop up my heavy bag onto my foot and hold it up with my arm the whole journey down to my connection point. My arms were shaking by the time I got off to transfer to my train. I gave up on the transfer and hailed a taxi to take me to the train station. Too much effort with the crowds and my luggage… and not worth the risk of having pee covering my bags. Gross.

Jenn and I met at the train station. Mind you, this is the same huge station that my dad and I played where’s waldo at – “coincidentally” we randomly met up at the KFC across the street from the station. We had a quick lunch and headed to the station and onto our train. What was an 11-12 hour train ride now only takes 3.5 hours on this “D-Train”, a quick train with few stops in between. We were enroute to visit my good friends from home – and now Jenn’s friends as well as they are in the same program.

As we walk to our seats on the train, we realize that our seats are not next to each other. So, Jenn asks me to ask the man sitting in the seat next to mine to see if he’d be willing to switch seats with Jenn. As I stand there, slowly pondering the right words to use in Chinese to ask, Jenn walks over and starts speaking.

Jenn: “uh… uh…. 对不起 (excuse me)… 可以 (can… can?)… 那边儿 (that side)… (pointing at her ticket and her assigned seat)… 我的朋友 (my friend).. (then points at me)… 可以 (can..).. uh.. 那边儿 (that side)… uh… 我在那边儿 (I am over there).. 我的朋友 (my friend)… 你... 可以 (you… can?)… 那边儿(that side).. 在那儿 (over there). 我的朋友(my friend).. 在这儿(over here) … ok (ok)? Pointing and smiling throughout this entire conversation.. (tammy watches and smiles as this all happens).

Man: “哦哦… 行。 (oh…oh…okay)”.

Jenn: 谢谢(thank you).

We arrive in Taiyuan where our friend picked us up. Despite the poor air quality – Taiyuan supposedly has one of the worst air in the world – most of China’s coal is supplied from here – it is refreshing to be with old friends and relax in their cozy and homey apartment. We had a wonderful afternoon catching up with each other, followed by a stroll through their village, and dinner at a delicious Sichuan restaurant. Oh, and I’m super excited to finally be able to do laundry!!! I’ve never been so excited to do laundry before!

Here are some pics from our wanderings through their village.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AHH! THIS POSTS MAKE ME LAUGH AND MISS YOU A LOT ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!! (Sorry that was all in caps.. haha)