Saturday, April 30, 2011

don't litter!

let's face it.  lots of people here in my parents little but large town toss their trash whereever.  granted, these litterbugs are creating much needed jobs for these old men and women hired to pick up trash everywhere... but still... let's take some responsibility for our earth.

BUT...
this morning, as we were headed out of my parents apartment, we walked by a mother and her elementary school aged daughter.  The daughter was about to drop her juice carton on the ground when her mother harshly scolded her and said in Chinese: "you forgot again!  you cannot throw things on the ground like that."  I was so proud of the mother!  Now that's parenting...thank you.

Later in the evening, my dad and I were walking back to the apartment.  In the complex, as an SUV drove by us, a lady rolled down her window and dropped her food wrapper out the window.  As she was rolling up her window, my dad nicely says in a tone as if she had dropped something personal of hers that was very important, "oh, you dropped your... trash."  I could tell she hesitated at first before my dad said the word "trash", wondering what she had dropped.  She rolled up her window and the suv continued to drive away.  Anyways, hopefully she took some of my dad's comment in although she seemed a bit peeved.  I was proud of my dad and found quite a bit of humor in just hearing my dad's tone towards her.

No comments: