Tuesday, April 12, 2011

All caught up!

Finally I'm all caught up - got so behind with China's great firewall... and posted some pics from previous posts too. Now to catch up to today. My thoughts focus around a few things so... here they are.

Gramps: Moody. Still refuses to eat or drink… although my mom threw a ferrer rocher chocolate ball in front of him today and he stuck the entire thing, gold wrapper and all, in his mouth. First thing he hasn’t outright refused. Took him on a stroll in the underground of the hospital, attempting to surround him with the smells and sights of food in the large food court. Instead, we all ate stuff while he just sat there. And we weren’t even hungry… just hoping to get him to eat.

Gramms: Worrywort. Insecure. Can’t trust people who are trying to help. It’s so hard to be patient. I don’t know what to do when tempers flare. I hate being in the middle of it. I don’t know how to encourage others to grow in grace for her when I have such a hard time myself trying to extend that grace. I wish there was something more I could do to help… help her grow and help those around her.

Books: Last night my mom and I came back from dinner with my aunt/uncle/cousins from my dad’s side (my cousin and his buddies opened an American style restaurant… twas delicious), walked in the door and my grandma was quietly reading Streams in the Desert devo book I had picked up in China. Very surprised and encouraged to see that. I rarely even see her read, and usually the TV is the option. My grandma’s memory is also not too good now. I guess that can be a good and bad thing depending on the situation… but hopefully His voice and His words will remain, deeply layering itself in her heart and mind.

Facemasks: a bunch of folks in the hospital wear face masks – surgical masks and the like. I don’t know whether I should feel good about not wearing one, or feel good that others are? Mixed bag… some clearly are the patients wearing them. Others are the patient’s family members. Some are employees. On a continent where the facemask is quite the norm to block the pollution, I guess it’s normal to just wear one around… or is there a plague that I don't know about, or is the hospital filled with airborne germs. Who knows.. oh well..

Tegaderm: I was wheeling my grandmom through a basement convenience store to spice up the scenery for my gramps, and walked across an aisle with tegaderm! Cheaper than the US. Anyways, I got excited becaue I love that stuff. It’s the reason why I don’t have more gashes than I already have all over my body. As a gk, I’m constantly throwing myself on the ground, getting scraped up all over. This stuff is awesome!

Mosquitos: the weather is getting warmer and I've spotted a few of them already. Not cool.

Tomorrow my mom are taking a hospital break day and heading to the Taipei International Flora Expo. I can’t say I’m all that into flowers, but it’s supposed to be good… and it will be a nice change from our regular hospital routine. Although I feel kind of bad not seeing my gramps...

No comments: