Friday, April 1, 2011

Squatty Toilets


Despite the amount of time I’ve spent in Asia over the years, I still am never sure which way I am to face when using a squatty toilet. I’m sorry – perhaps this is too much personal information to share, but really, it perplexes me. Plus, I think having some resolution on the proper squatting technique will be helpful information for all of us who venture out to parts of Asia where the squatty is often an option, if not THE only option. When I think I’ve got it right – facing the door – something throws me off like a wastebasket that gets in the way of the squat. And other times, well, I just don’t know.

My friend told me today that the key is to squat right over the flushing hole of the toilet. So, I’ll see how that methodology works out over the next few days and report back on its success.

Gosh I also worry about my non-Asian friends. I remember when I was studying in China back in college, my non-Asian friends had a hard time balancing their squat, unable to hold it at street level without falling backwards. What a horrible predicament to be in when you are forced to use a squatty toilet. I’ll be praying for protection from that for non-Asians and Asians alike.

On a side note, here a couple of cool ideas in bathrooms I've visited in Asia.
Etiquette Bell (at Soeul airport bathroom).
Plays a loud flushing sound for those
defecating moments.  Come on.. you know you've
wasted water by flushing to cover up the sound at times.
Recycled goodness in Taiwan.


No comments: