Monday, April 18, 2011

the most amazing pineapple cakes

So a really awesome Taiwanese snack is 风立素 – pineapple cake. The ones you get in the states at the Asian grocery store… eh, they’re OK… after all, that’s the only option available. But when friends and family go back to Taiwan, a must buy and must bring back is this pineapple cake. My mom usually gets these pretty delicious ones from taipei… BUT, we found an even more amazing place per a recommendation from a friend. Wow, they are as good as people say they are to be. At the Jia De Bakery… made fresh… perfect amount of flakyness, with a light crisp on the buttery outside, pineapple filling oh so fresh and soft… mmm… delish. I just wish we had more room in our luggage to bring these things back! Boo!

In general, the bakeries here are to die for. The sweet smell of butter… what else could you ask for. The problem is that you have these bakeries, that you cannot walk into or walk by without wanting to buy and eat something… but the other non-bakery food is also delish… so you’re stomach is constantly packed with food… and your scent and sight senses are overly stimulated all the time. Trouble. We've been spending most of our time in the hospital, but even the hospital has so much in food options that are actually quite decent! Not as good as street level but not too bad.

First thing I did when I arrived in Taipei was to find a gym. I found a pretty big chain in Taipei. Looked into their classes and all… even visited one… but have failed to actually make my way IN to the gym and engage my body in exercise. Oh man I need it so badly.. one for all the stuff I’ve been stuffing my face with and two… I need to sweat out all the crap in my mind. Oh well.. perhaps in China I’ll find a gym.

No comments: