Saturday, April 2, 2011

bye bye Jenny... where's waldo at the beijing train station?

This morning Jenny and I parted ways with Lisa, well, sort of, and then headed back to the apartment so Jenny could pack up and get ready to head out to the airport. I say we “sort of” parted ways with Lisa because… Lisa was also headed to the airport later today to fly back to Shanghai, and her flight was just about the same time as Jenny’s back to the states. We found it funny that they’d be able to meet up for lunch at the airport because since Jenny and I first arrived in Asia to Shanghai, Lisa has been there. Then, Lisa joined us in Cambodia for the first half of the week and then she headed off separately to Siem Reap. Then she also happened to be in Beijing for business for some of the days we were here too. It’s as if we just can’t get enough of each other… Jenny saw her again at the airport, which I felt was such perfect planning by Him – it gave me some peace of mind knowing she had made it okay on the airport train to the airport… and then I’ll see Lisa again in a few days time back in Shanghai.

As we wandered our way back to the apartment, we stopped at our favorite food carts… the scallion egg fried wonton crepe and jenny’s fav… the fish cake hot dog / kielbasa like meat on a stick. Bellies full, arms weighed down by bags, and off we went through the packed crowds of the Beijing metro system.

Jenny and I parted ways, and then I wandered my way to a McDs to use their wifi and grab a quick snack before I met up with my pops. Jenn Kim stopped by briefly – so great to see her smile!!! And then off I went to meet my pops at the Beijing West Railway Station.

After being squished and sandwiched in multiple directions working my way through the subway and searching in the wrong places for my connecting bus to the train station, then playing “Where’s Waldo” at the train station square filled with a sea of Chinese people, one of which was my dad, with the help of cell phones and large signs, I finally located my dad who was craving pizza… unfortunately we couldn’t find a pizza place nearby so we hit up the second best choice – McDonalds. Yes, if you think I’m American, well, I take after my pops. After catching up for a bit over a McD’s late lunch, we headed up to Tsinghua University to meet my dad’s good friend, and the uncle that’s been helping us out with accommodations and all. On the subway to meet the uncle, my dad, who by the way has been working in China since September, was pointing out to a guy that you’re not supposed to eat on the train (yes, we are a family of rule followers…the guy was kind of making a mess and the train was packed so we didn’t want his food all over us and stinking up the whole train). The guy respectfully said sorry and thank you for letting me know in Chinese – and my dad responds in English… “it’s okay… I just wanted to let you know…” I’m standing there shaking my head and laughing at how American he is. He’s in China and has been in China and yet he naturally chooses English as his first language. I love it!

We finished off our day with dinner with him and family at a famous mutton hot pot place – a traditional Beijing meal. During dinner we shared that we were going to go visit a Church in the morning, and invited them to come along. The uncle’s daughter actually is considering it, mentioning that her daughters might be interested in coming. I was super pumped and am praying that He leads them there!

Oh yeah… Qing Ming Jie.. tomb sweeping holiday in China… not to be confused with Valentines Day. When I met up with my dad at the train station… here’s how the convo went:
Me: dad, is it some holiday or something? There’s so many people everywhere!
Dad: yes, it’s qing ming jie.
Me: what is that… like valentine’s day or something?
Dad: uh.. no… not even close… tomb sweeping day.
Me: oh… woops… totally off. Qing sounds like the word for kiss in Chinese but I guess I had the wrong “qing”.

No comments: