Wednesday, April 20, 2011

a blessing in disguise?

I came back to my grandparent’s apartment this morning after I a conference call over skype at some random hole in the wall food place (that happened to be broadcasting the Yankees game live) near my grandrents house. As I walked in, my brother was heading out the door to jump on the airport bus to fly back to hong kong. My mom and I quickly finished stuffing our bags and then jumped out to catch the next bus. My grandma was crying… didn’t want us to leave… worried how she would handle staying by herself… not an easy thing to see… don’t really know how to handle it. Selfishly it helps that we were in such a hurry to grab our bags and catch the bus. Praying she’ll be okay. Praying she'll find strength from above for everything that's going on in her life... in grandpa's life...

On the bus, my mom and I were talking about how growing forgetful through the aging process (becoming 胡涂), perhaps described as the early stages of Alzheimers, can be blessing in disguise. It may be harder on the family; however for the individual, it may not be a horrible thing. For my grandmom, we were thinking that she’ll probably shortly forget her sadness and us leaving, and will start thinking and worrying about something else. Growing forgetful in this instance, will allow her to move on and continue on with her normal life, as opposed to mourning us leaving and depressing herself down to a dark narrow place that would be diffulct to pull herslf out of. So perhaps, a blessing here. It does frustrate us when we're with her when she forgets things that we told her, or forgets where she hides things and stuff... but in this situation we are thankful.

As you age, more will happen, whether it’s to you or to those around you. It’s sad to realize you yourself are getting older, that those around you may be passing away, that your body and memory are failing. But perhaps growing forgetful is a blessing in disguise after all. I just hope some of the devo’s she’s been reading will sink deep into her heart and not be forgotten and transform her into a faithful child of His.

No comments: