Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Preach it!

A few times in Taiwan, I overheard my grandma and/or my mom just openly asking people, whether it was the taxi driver or my gramp’s hospital roommate, whether they were believers or not. I’m put to shame by how bold they are, as I sit in the corner silently reading the good book on my own. Even though I would say they don’t have a solid grasp of the gospel, it doesn’t stop them.
The hospital roomate’s family said that they are Buddhist. My grandma replied “oh, that’s great. Good for you guys. Good that you have that.” I was inspired by the boldness of even asking the question… not so much by the second response.

I need to be more desensitized to what others think – how others will react. I think too much about what their response will be, and not enough about what really matters, that is, spreading the good news, spreading and planting seeds. I reconnected with a college friend earlier this year who is doing campus ministry – we served together in college. He introduced me to his staff buddies as being one of the most courageous and boldest – not afraid to share and bring Him into conversations and into people’s lives. Was he talking about the same person.. I wondered… not remembering this courage because I seem to lack it today. I sit and wait for “the opportune” time, waiting and waiting, praying for it. Sometimes the door opens and I boldly say a few words. Other times the door opens and I sit there twiddling my thumbs wanting to say something but don’t. And then other times I wait and wait and wait for that ideal time, soon after forgetting it all in all. I seem to have lost that vigor… that true heart for the lost. If I really cared, I wouldn’t hold back. Perhaps I’ve been jaded by the harsh responses I’ve heard in the past few years. I’m inspired by the boldness of my mom and grandmom. If I truly loved my friends and family, then I would care more and my heart would ache more for them.

Grow my heart for you. Grow my heart for your people, for the friends, families, and even strangers you’ve placed around me, that you divinely place into my walk each day. Give me the boldness to love with my words and with my actions.

No comments: