Friday, April 22, 2011

Egg overdose

wandering cool sts of tian zi fang
My mom and I have been wandering Shanghai, meeting up with my friend Lisa (who I’ve met up with nearly everywhere along this trip (except Taiwan) one day for lunch at this really cool Yunnan Restaurant (lost heaven) and then today meeting up with our friends from my home church who I’ve actually met a couple times around on this trip. Connecting with old friends, catching up, eating. We also visited Taikang St. - tian zi fang. A cute, architecturally old school, but inside filled with small art galleries, contemporary shops, and cafes and restaurants. We had coffee and an amazing carrot cake at a local coffee shop – delicious. I later took my mom to the delicious shen jian boa place that lisa introduced me too – yum. She agreed it was pretty good.

delish food at yunnan restaurant
            
attempt at a self pic of us eating
 the delish fried buns







pm coffee/carrot cake break
in tian zi fang cafe

After wandering today, my mom and I headed back to the apartment to grab our bags and say farewell before we headed to the airport to catch our flight for Zhengzhou (my mom and I are going to explore Luoyang area before heading to heze to meet my dad). My aunt’s sister and grandparents – the family friends we are staying next door to - insisted that we eat some of their home-cooked food, some of the ingredients grown in their own little garden. Honestly we would have preferred to grab food on our own at the airport cuz there’s plenty of good stuff there, but they insisted. In a rush and all, but we sat down and ate.. and the grandma kept forcing me to eat more. So many egg related items. I don’t even like eggs, but she kept spooning them over and I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to refuse because it seemed like it would be disrespectful. So, I opened up my mouth and tossed all the food down, shoving it down with a huge smile on my face. I feel like I just overdosed on eggs. I don’t even like eggs! Ugh.

To add to that, the aunt gave us a bag full of hard boiled tea eggs. I know my mom is going force me to eat some despite my dislike for eggs. Oh man… not cool

I asked my mom why Chinese people and asians in general love eggs so much… and she said I’m the strange one so I should ask myself what’s wrong with me and why don’t I like eggs. Good point, I just don’t – I never have. I like some kinds of scrambled eggs and grew to like omelettes and don’t mind eggs on breakfast sandwiches, but other types – hard boiled, poached, fried, etc., I don’t like the smell, the texture, the taste. Unfortunately I think I ate all of the above methods of cooking eggs in that last meal. I am all egged out.

Oh, in the airport, I happened to look over at a tv and there was cartoon commercial talking about swing flue and how to protect yourself from it. And I saw quickly a line that said “swine flu comes from America”. I’m not sure why that comment was necessary. So if you see Chinese people running away from you for some random reason, probably because of this commercial.

No comments: