Sunday, March 27, 2011

You can't not step on the field when someone hands you a jersey

We got to the field where kids from Fellowship of Hope were playing.  Of course I had to step on the field and mess around with them.  Then the teachers and adults came, and the founders of the org that we were planning to meet with.  I was handed a uniform.  When someone hands you a uniform, you can’t decline it and push it aside.  So I put on my yellow Friendship Soccer team jersey and shorts, and stepped onto the pitch… no equipment required…. Just a pair of feet… perhaps not something my tender feet are too accustomed to, and perhaps not something smart to do on a bad ankle, but at the least, you get better touch on the ball without shoes on!  Off I went, into a happy place, playing with these brothers against some of the kids in their program.  At the end of our match we gave them the soccer balls that were donated (thanks Edwin!).  A hot sweaty mess I was.
my sole teammate during girls v. boys.

Immediately after, we had to rush back to U of N.  We were supposed to spend some time at one of their at-risk child development programs, and meet with someone who is helping set up their microfinance project to see if there are ways to provide some input and advice.  But, for whatever reason, I got the times mixed up (woops!) and then the tuk-tuk driver couldn’t find his way over to U of N in time, so we ended up wandering around town instead.  We’ve just had so many appointments and I guess everything was starting to blend together.  Nonetheless, we were actually quite thankful to have a break – we needed one – and it was the Sabbath after all so while I felt horrible for missing that appointment, I trust in His timing and both of us were thankful for the break.


We wandered our way to the Friendship Restaurant where, similar to Rendang, trains, teaches, and employs young men and women, previous street kids, in the restaurant and hospitality business.  Enroute we found my all time favorite fruit – mangosteens!  Last I had them was probably in Thailand or Indonesia on a family trip, and since then, have failed to locate them anywhere.  They were SO good... so satisfying to the soul.. okay.. fine… satisfying to the tastebuds.  We had some coffee and crepes at the Friendship Resturant, then walked our way back to our hotel to grab dinner at a restaurant by our place.  A day full of running and walking... we were exhausted... but so overly satisfied and filled with His joy and love.

No comments: