Sunday, March 13, 2011

Aching for Japan

Japan and the people of Japan have been on my heart all day today. The devastating earthquake and tsunami hit the news yesterday, but it wasn't until today that it really soaked in as I watched newsclip after newsclip. By today, I had heard from all of my close friends who are in Japan, and thankfully they are okay. I was worried especially for my Japanese grandparents - well, they're not MY real grandparents, but my good friend from college's grandparents whom I visited a couple years ago... by myself... without my friend. Anyhow, my Japanese grandparents are super cool and super cute. But my Japanese grandmother took me for a walk along the beach which is just down the street from their home, and I was picturing the worst, but thank God, they are both fine... as are my other friends and family in Tokyo. I've been getting constant updates from my friend who works for an NGO that works with local farmers in Japan, many who were affected if not deceased as a result of the tragedy. The devastation is scary and sad... personal and impersonal both at the same time. I heart breaks for the physical devastation but also for the spiritual state of the country. Praying for the nation, for the people, for the communities, and especially for His spirit to rise through and bring a real hope to this nation.

No comments: