Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spoiled in Shanghai

We had a good couple days in Shanghai visiting some historic sites, wandering different markets, tasting different foods, and meeting up with some old friends. It feels like we’ve been moving nonstop, but I guess we’re trying to maximize the short time we have here.

My uncle’s business partner lives in Shanghai, and my uncle seems to have no shortage of “best” friends there who have been arranging so much for us – from our airport pick-up to our accommodations to tea and fruit at a tea house one of his friends own. We’re being spoiled, and we’re quite thankful for that!

The day we arrived, my uncle’s business partner picked us up from the airport, took us around to the French Concession area where we ate a delicious Hunan'ese meal followed by a leisurely stroll around town. As we walked, he pointed out a big, old Church building, and then mentioned that he had heard my dad is a Christian. So naturally, we respond and ask if he is, and he said “not yet.” Apparently his close friend, also a close friend of my uncle’s, just joined the “family”, and I guess this friend is causing him to think more about it. Seeds are being planted, and I’m just praying that it takes root in his life, as well as my uncle and family.

Afterwards, we stopped at the tea house that my uncle’s friend owns. We are treated too well there. My college buddy Lisa joined us there and helped plan out some ideas for tomorrow… couldn’t get any easier. So thankful for that, especially given the jetlag and lack of sleep over the past 48 hours or more.

We also had the opportunity to meet up with my good friends from my old Church in Princeton who moved to Shanghai when I was in college. It was such a blessed time catching up, seeing what they’re up to, and hearing how real He is in their lives and seeing them truly live the faith in all aspects of their lives. I know that He was speaking through them when he reminded me, through his own experience (they’ve started up a successful architecture and design firm) how hard it is, yet how important it is, to wait and be patient and be still. When He convicts you with something He’s calling you to, sometimes the hardest part is waiting on the how and what. I feel like that’s exactly where I am now – truly it is so hard to be patient and continue seeking His direction and vision in what I’m trying to do when it feels like the conversation is unidirectional and filled with silence from Him, but lots of chatter from others. It was so encouraging to hear that message from someone who I trust and look up to, and someone who’s gone through it and understands.

Another friend who grew up in the same church joined us at their house for dinner. He’s been in China the past few years doing a variety of different things, but the more recent and cooler ones is his pursuit of becoming a pop/rap-star in Asia. We got to listen to his latest album and I’m pretty impressed!

No comments: