Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A breath of fresh air... in Beijing???

Today we flew back to China. The highlight of the day – riding the gator / large golf cart through the Guangzhou airport! Jenny and I both found great excitement in that. As we confusedly wandered through security to catch our connecting flight, a guy directed us towards the cart and told us to hop on. The front seats were taken, so we jumped on the back where the driver sped through to the other terminal! Loads of fun! Yes, we are such children.

The air quality in Beijing is not good, but sadly, after being in Cambodia the past few days, my first thought upon walking out of the airport was… “what a breath of fresh air!” And I was totally being serious… sad. We jumped on a bus that would take us to a bus stop close to where my dad’s good friend lives – out near the university I used to study at. Uncle Zheng and his daughter picked us and took us to go get these delicious buns, famous in Beijing. They ordered a couple platefuls of buns for the two of us to eat! Way too many buns but we downed a whole bunch!
We learned a bit about my dad over our buns dinner. I mean, I knew he worked at Harvard but I had no idea he declined a good professorial position at Harvard Med School to take a job at a pharmaceutical instead! I wonder how life would have been different for me, growing up in Boston, surrounded by universities, in a university med school setting. I have always loved science and medicine. I wonder what or how I would have taken advantage of all that if it were at my fingertips,. I wonder… but I don’t regret or long for what could have been, for I know and trust in Him who guides every step. I am simply curious. :)

No comments: