Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Made for this

A few days into my time in Bangladesh, I distinctly remember standing in my room and saying to myself “I think this is it. I think this is what all that training and education and experiences was for. This work is what I’m called to do... at least for right now.”  This work in helping organizations grow, help them improve, help their people develop, help teams work effectively... this work that God has not only been preparing me for since childhood, but has actually given me a passion for.  What’s funny is, that’s what EdGE, the consulting business I created a few years ago was about as well, helping organizations grow and work well to impact the world. Despite having no time to drive that forward, I am more or less doing the work of EdGE but now through endpoverty and the partners we work with.  EdGE. I spent so much time praying through what EdGE is, what it's brand is, what it's all about. EdGE - "Equipped. Go Empower."  Equipping organization, equipping people, equipping groups, equipping... so that they are in turn empowered to lead, to run, to work, help others, to equip others, to transform lives.

i like post-it notes.
During the trip, I kept pondering how I am able to understand and diagnose the health of organizations I step into rather quickly, why I am able to build deep relationships with people almost immediately, why I can assimilate and understand different cultures almost immediately. It’s just bizarre in my mind that this stuff just clicks in my mind.  As I explain issues I see to the leaders, and find ways to push them beyond the confusion to reach their ‘aha’ moment, I am truly in awe of God who enables me to think, communicate, and share.  And to think of the different, seemingly random projects and training and development programs God has given to me over the years that have prepared me so well... it’s like the A-Team slogan “I love it when a plan comes together”.  God’s plan is so good. Be faithful even when you’ve got your doubts. I can find old blog posts when I complained about work, thought about quitting and completely switching gears, but for whatever reason I felt God was asking me to stay... so I reluctantly did.  Now, I am pulling concepts from years ago.

I reflected back at my childhood.  School was never my thing.  Concepts did not click quickly... my dad was visiting my teachers regularly to discuss my grades... they dragged me to tutoring, extra academic programs, summer schools... sure you could say it’s an Asian thing but my brother never had to do any of that. The difference?  His grades were stellar. Mine, just average or perhaps failing in the eyes of Asian parents. I think I just had a listening problem... or an attention problem... I mean to this day, my mind wanders all the time so I’ve learned to focus over the years (still working on it)... but it was never by any means easy.  So why this stuff sticks and makes sense to me, quite frankly, perplexes me!  Nonetheless I am thankful.

No comments: