Tuesday, November 4, 2014

23 hour layover in honolulu

To be honest, it sounded cool but for some reason I kind of didn’t want to deal with it. It meant finding a place to stay, figuring out what to do, and leaving home earlier than I would like to... but, it was the best choice for multiple reasons, so I went with it.  As I thought why I was not as excited about it, it kind of perplexed me. It’s Hawaii for pete’s sake.  I would have to say a family vaca to Hawaii as a kid was definitely one of the best trips.  We had done plenty of beaches and vacation spots, but Hawaii was just the best.  But going solo... I dunno... it just didn’t sound that appealing.  I guess I prefer the mountains... if it was 24 hours in Utah or Colorado in the winter, I would have paid extra to make that happen!

Nevertheless, the flight was booked... used some points to book a hotel. Spoiled myself a bit and stayed pretty comfortably near Waikiki beach.  Once I arrived, I got right to work.  Grabbed a shuttle to the hotel, texted my friend who grew up in Honolulu for tips on things to do, she started texting me place after place – all food. I hit the streets finding the food joints she suggested. Yum.  Rainbow’s drive-in, then zippy’s, failed to find the shaved ice place, went back to rainbow’s for the slush float, wandered back towards the hotel and into the downtown’ish type of area to the apple store to pick something up, then back to the hotel. Thought I was going to pass out towards the end of my wandering. A lot of walking... not enough sleep... tired.

Hawaii reminds me of POGs.  If you don’t know what POGs are – well, they’re out of business now but it’s a game where you throw an object to flip a stack of milk caps over, originating in Hawaii actually – the Haleakala dairy farm.  POG also stands for Passion, Orange, and Guava mixed together to make POG juice, also a more Hawaiian flavor (I found some at the Honolulu airport and drank some!).  It also reminds me of Hawaii because my family went on a family vacation to Hawaii right before my first ever business trip.  Like this time, Hawaii was an added bonus to a comp’d trip.  I’ll explain more some other time.




No comments: