Wednesday, September 10, 2014

decisions in life

In the last 24 hours I've had to make these very "important" decisions - really not that important but still time consuming! i'm taking a plane that is strict on baggage weight. i am able to bring a maximum of 10 kgs or 22 pounds... my laptop and post it notes alone take up half of that limit. I'm in Bangladesh for 10 days so I can recycle clothes (i'll have to!) but I also can't go empty handed without gifts for the staff there.  I brought all these chocolates and tasty cakes as gifts but... I don't think I can make the weight limit with all that.

  • pack of wet wipes or post-it notes --- the winner was post-it notes
  • pack of face wipes since i'll be sweating all the time or mr. sketch and permanent markers --- the winner was the markers
  • underwear for the 10 days or PB candycakes tastycakes --- the winner was the underwear
  • clothes for the 10 days or lindt chocolates --- the winner, negotiated down, was clothes for 5 days (EMC's getting some more chocolates to enjoy!)
  • downy refresher/dewrinkler spray or mini lotion gifts --- the winner was the lotions... although I'm regretting that decision now.  I think the one thing I really will need is the downy spray... oh well.
  • mosquito net or the butterscotch krimpet tastycakes --- the winner was the mosquito net.. you never know and i want to be prepared!
  • electric toothbrush or the plastic disposable kind i got in the airport --- the winner...i splurged and brought the electric one. at least i'll have clean teeth even if the rest of me is not so much.
then the non-negotiables of course... bible, journal, laptop, cables, sleep sack, bugspray, bandaids, meds, flip flops/shower shoes... one pair of shoes which I wore on the plane...  before going to the airport this evening, I ditched a few more items... 6 pads of post-its... down to 12-hope that's enough... my headlamp-figured the iPhone flashlight's pretty decent... and left some markers behind... but despite that I think I'm still overweight... ugh it's amazing how small things really add up!

man as i look at the winning items, i feel quite selfish!  my personal things that make me feel comfortable and secure won over the gifts for others. God has much work to do in my heart!

now safely in dhaka. flying on an "amphibious cessna" that takes off and lands on water operated by missionary aviation fellowship here in bangladesh tomorrow morning. kinda scared. kinda excited. goodnight from dhaka.

1 comment:

heeyoung said...

I sort of miss Xanga. Instagram is the new Xanga for me, hehehe.

Hi Tammy.