Friday, September 12, 2014

Flying over...on... into... from... water.

Well that was quite a cool, freaky, scary, interesting experience.

"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles." Printed on a gold plated plaque on the plane door.

First MAF (Missionary Aviation Fellowship) flight! My pilot was from Chicago.  As I observed the pilot and co-pilot, I wondered if they ever got bored. As we cruised on autopilot, I’d watch him look out the windows, adjust a dial to steer us away from turbulent clouds (so thankful for that), and then well, the landing part, that looked like it took work. I mean, I know it's more complex than that!  It was an overall smooth and enjoyable ride! smooth landing and take-off.  We had a stopover to drop a couple of passengers off and pick up another one.  Once I arrived in Khulna (my destination), I was greeted by a speedboat and a "driver" to "taxi" me to the "gate", i.e. a little port on the side of the river.

Here's a video of one of the landings... sorry about the poor footage - i couldn't decide what to cover!



the port i disembarked at - my "gate"
i got a little worried when i
saw the pilot take out a map!
  
local villagers who came running
out to the plane to greet us

On my return flight the organization booked me on a new airline: US-Bangla Airlines.  Never heard of it.  Some joint venture airline with the US???  New plane. Not bad. Food, even on the 30 minute flight. Although I suppose any person could have boarded this flight with my ticket... I've gotten used to security in the developing world... or rather, lack thereof.





No comments: