Saturday, July 9, 2011

Off to Calcutta

this morning jane and I hopped a flight to Calcutta. Twas sad to leave the team and Sangita, the children, and the women from the community. After we said our goodbyes, the cab drove down the street/driveway to the gate. Sitting all along the drive way were the widows that are part of the project. Seeing their smiles, their waves, seeing familiar faces that had pinched my cheeks and squished my face with their wrinkled and worn hands the day before at the medical clinic, was heart wrenching. Those beautiful faces will always be engraved on my heart.

Off to Calcutta. Upon arrival Shajan and his wife Anita picked us up. So nice to see familiar faces – my Indian family. They took us over to the flat we’ll be staying at, and it is so wonderful!!! Aunty and our friends at EMC put so much thought and effort into our accommodations. Flowers, a “welcome back” poster from the boys downstairs, a fridge stocked with eggs, milk, water, fruit, bread, and everything! It is so nice! Our place is so much bigger than we ever expected – 1 bedroom with 2 twin beds for my roomie and me, an all purpose room with a twin bed, dining table, and a separate kitchen and a little balcony. They delivered us some yummy lo mein and chilly chicken for dinner and everything! TOO MUCH! We are being spoiled. It is good to be back in Calcutta. The smells and noise come along with it but it is familiar and I welcome it, or, rather, it welcomed me. ☺

No comments: