Friday, July 15, 2011

css... pizza hut... bieber...

we visited our friend Himadri today who started CSS India over 23 years ago. I love that man! He is such a humble servant with a brilliant business mind yet full of compassion, fully focused on Him. I’m always inspired by our conversations. The past couple times we’ve met, I’ve gotten to know this wonderful man and hear his testimony and why and how he’s done what he’s done… but this time, we went to him with specific questions to learn from him as we look at some of the challenges we are facing with our microfinance program… and to hear and see how he has built and lead CSS India… all I can say is wow. We learned so much about microfinance itself, and are inspired by his approach. We have some learnings to take back to EMC, and while it’s not as easy as copying and applying Himadri’s model, his approach and mentality has got us thinking. Still much research to be done, but really great insights and best practices learned today.

Topped off our night with a date a Pizza Hut. We needed it after a busy week. Our brains are on overdrive. we pigged out… it was awesome. and all for $4 or so each. Added plus was the American pop music playing in the background. Justin bieber was on at one point and I was reminded of our flight to India just over a week ago.

I’m a bit ashamed to say this… but I was never a bieber fan, but on the flight to India, I watched 3-4 hours of bieber… baby baby baby… yes 3-4 hours. But let me explain myself. We were on an older plane so I couldn't start the movies whenever I wanted to, and nothing else interesting was on that I could just start following along mid-movie, and I admit, I was a bit curious about all the craze, so I tuned into his movie. And then I kind of got hooked, partly because of how entertaining it was to see how hooked these teenage girls were to him in the movie… and well, so then I kind of wanted to see the beginning of the movie and they just cycle through on repeat. And so, I watched the whole movie all over again. Secondly, it was the most brainless movie I could watch and multitask to. Excuses aside, he’s pretty talented I must admit. And yes I was singing his songs the next couple of days. Although his song quickly left my brain and was filled instead with other wonderful noises, like the sounds of honking horns of all pitches and volumes, some piercing, some like a baby duck’s quack.. and now… there seems to be a cricket somewhere in or near our room chirping the night away. Goodnight!

No comments: