Friday, March 30, 2012

Preschool Graduation


Earlier this week, I was asked to speak for a commencement address… for 5 year olds who were graduating from pre-school.  These kids are part of CCT’s school – all are children of microfinance loan recipients or kids from families who were previously street dwellers and are now part of CCT’s programs.  Let me tell you, it was not easy to come up with a commencement address for these kids.  I mean, do you speak to the kids or to the parents?  And if both, well, it’s an awfully large age gap!

When we arrived at the graduation location, it was so awesome to see these kids in their formal Filipino attire, kids being kids, and parents being parents… proud… taking photos of their little ones.  Once the ceremony got started, I was just so impressed, again teary eyed, seeing these kids, seeing the proud parents.  For many if not all of these kids, they are getting an education that they would not have had the chance to have.  These little 5 year olds started the year not being able to speak, read, write, count, etc.  Let me tell you… these kids were up on stage, singing, reciting memory verses, and one little boy even got up to read a passage from genesis… literally reading it.  Painfully slow but how amazed I was to see him sound out words and actually read God’s word…

A CCT pastor was going to translate my speech for me, but we quickly realized the translation was only needed for the parents and families.  The little children all understood.  Amazing to see how quickly these kids have learned this year.  So precious… so beautiful…

I had to bolt to catch my flight home, so unfortunately could not stay for the entire graduation.  But after the speech, and before leaving they asked me to stand with the kids for a photo.  I wish I could have gotten a photo of the parents taking a photo of us.  Literally, a row of parents in front of us snapping a shot.  I got a glimpse of what it must feel like to be a famous person at a press conference or something.  Unfortunately had to rush and head out from there… but first of course had to get one more “halo-halo” which literally means “mix-mix”…  a mixture of shaved ice, tapioca, condensed milk, beans, ice scream, so many other things… so good so good…

Sad to leave... will back post some photos in the next couple days...

No comments: