Sunday, October 23, 2011

"OFWs"


as we pulled up to my terminal at the Manila airport, i was surprised by the large crowds outside the airport.  some waiting to get inside, others just hanging around the airport.  the folks from our partner organization dropping me off said that those were the OFW... individuals going to other countries to work, away from their families, friends, culture, community.  a long line to enter the airport of local Filipinos, ready to separate from their families for who knows how long, as they take service jobs internationally, to other parts of Asia and the Middle East.  In '08 on my way back from India, I saw a similar scene, only it was all men with no luggage or anything, boarding a plane to Riyadh to do construction work and such.  I was discussing with the stranger sitting next to me about human trafficking and how this too was a form of trafficking.  wow.

For whatever reason, the scene just wrenched my heart. I just feel for these individuals and their families.  It's hard to justify either way because in one sense they are going to make money to help support the family at home... so the family can live... so they sacrifice themselves, subjecting themselves to harsh conditions and treatment and separation from loved ones... but i don't know... it's still hard for me to see... My grandparents in Taiwan have had individuals from the Philippines and Indonesia come and help out at the house, and something about it has always bothered me.  I mean, not that our family treats them poorly, but something about it... it's like God's placed this burden on my heart or something.

after i got back from india, the first movie i saw was "the help", a story about African American nannies raising Caucasian children back in the early/pre-Civil Rights days.  a powerful movie... and a reminder of why it's so important that we help enable and encourage peopel to tell their stories... it's important for the rest of the world to hear, and it's important for the individual and others in similar circumstances to hear and be empoewred to shared.  all you need is one person to stand up and take a risk for change...  that's what i am praying for in one of the slum communities in india... just one person to take a stand, to speak their heart, to have the hope that life can be different, that things can change, if they would stand up... 

i'm not sure what this post is about really as i'm not just rambling... but it's what's going on in my head... disconnected thoughts that are seemingly triggering thoughts that are somewhat connected in my strange little brain.

No comments: