Sunday, May 5, 2013

broad street run


Broad Street Run – hearts for Boston.  Sea of red socks running before you… beautiful.  A sense of unity and solemnity, but also excitement as well.  Hard to describe.

I think I just love seeing people come together.. random strangers from North to South Philly cheering random strangers along..  a sign that even said “Good job random stranger!”  Free high-fives.  Encouragement along the race route… people of all races, colors, accents, ages… Churches, bands, a drummer…  and one of the most meaningful parts for me… ran by Shriners Hopsital.. 2 kids… both looked like cancer patients, connected to all sorts of things… down on the sidewalk along the race route with their nurses… big smiles.. cheering people on.. and the rest of us… cheering back at them.  That was the kick in the butt I needed… suck it up tammy… you think running 10 miles is hard?  Look at these beautiful kids and the race they are running.  Had to catch my breath after seeing those kids… 

Anyways… the race is done.  Not a bad time given I was feeling like I didn’t have enough time to train with all the recent travel… 1:28:09.  8:48 a mile.. I’ll take it… now I’m just really sore and tired. Yay.. and I get to board a long flight tomorrow to Africa!  When I will pack I don’t know.. whaever..

No comments: