Thursday, January 22, 2004

confused

We had this National Sales Conference last week right in Philly. I thought I'd have a nice break by attending the conference, as things before the conference were really crazy as we got together all of our materials for a presentation we were giving (compliance is mad strict nowadays), but man, those sales people sure can party! Mike Egruzione (is that how you spell his name??), the US captain of the 1980 Olympic hockey champions, opened up our event with a great talk on teamwork... then we had this other speaker who was AMAZING to close the conference... apparently one of the top motivational speakers in the world or US?? (i guess they have competitions or something).. anyways, he was real good... spoke on the topic: "attitude is everything"... bringing people to tears and all.. wow. if you weren't motivated after that, well.. don't know what would. so clear that he was a Christian... the way he spoke, the language he used... wish you could've heard him.. real good..

the sales conference was great, except that it confused me even more! after the conference, you couldn't help but want to work for my company. i'm definitely excited for the co., as i think we're going to have a great year, but if you had asked me a week prior to the conf., you totally would have heard me saying.. "i don't know.. work is alright.. not sure what i want to do.. kind of want to go to china... teach, play soccer...," and leaning towards that direction, now, well, i may be leaning in the opposite direction. eek!

To make things worse, I got the privilege to help out with 2nd round recruiting yesterday and today...bad idea (but great too). It was really neat to be on the other end of the process, talking and actually interviewing people, and picking and voting on who I felt was a good fit for the program (quite a harsh process i must say). It was a great experience though, but really weird because it was me exactly one year ago, sitting in that same hotel room, having the same cocktail party at the same place... very odd.. met a few columbia kids too! There's definitely some impressive people in that crew, so I'm excited, especially since my overall top pick will be getting an offer for my position in my business unit! Hope he accepts!

Now I just have to figure out where the heck I want to go next year... hopefully not Indiana, but as I've been saying for the past 2 days... (i've basically brainwashed myself into believing that any location will be great cuz it's only 1 year), it won't be that bad. I'm not sure if the motivational speaker got to me, and now all of a sudden i have this overly positive attitude towards the work that i do, or if i've just sold myself and the program so much the past 2 days to recruits or what.. but I've successfuly convinced myself, and hopefully the recruits, that lincoln is great and the pdp program is awesome...well.. anyways, i guess i've just confused myself even more on what to do with my life.. i'll probably be around lincoln. it's hard to separate yourself now.. after telling the whole world that you love it and all. i really wish i could just take 1 year off to explore a bit, see if there's something else out there, separate from the financial services industry, that i'm more suited for.. well, i guess we'll see.

Anyways, i am exhausted and desperately need to catch up on sleep.. so goodnight!

No comments: