Tuesday, January 15, 2013

lessons on bravery at the mountaintop

ok it's been awhile.. i have a bunch of back posting to do which i'll try to do over the next few weeks, but in the meantime, didn't want to lose this story from today.

earlier today my mom was commenting how 'brave'(勇敢)I've become (in reference to me living in the us while my rents and bro r now in china for much of the year.. if one can even call that brave..low standards for me in our fam)... she added a reminder of how I was such a baby (thx mom).. yep i was that kid who would cry to go home early from girl scout camp and cry at the payphone at soccer camp... yes we used payphones back then... but then was totally surprised at her reasoning... she said: "it must have been skiing." (at this point i have no clue where she is going with this). "you know when you went down that mtn the first time" (ok i was like 7.. and i've only heard this story in the context of mockery.. and i don't think my mom was even there to witness this... but apparently she was told the whole story in detail!). "at first you stood at the top of the mountain (ok, it was a hill in NJ but looked huge at the time) and stood there crying (my brother and dad were at the bottom of this tiny hill before they realized i was still standing at the top...), but then you went down (well my dad came back up to get me and i had no choice.. i had to get down somehow).. and so was the start of my love for skiing and mountains... and apparently... my 'bravery'... (although to call someone brave for being an independent adult whose parents live far away seems quite undeserving of the characteristic of 'brave'... the chinese word is perhaps a bit more fitting but... not really...).  oh well... i'll take it for what it's worth.

No comments: