Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Please get excited for Utah 2011

Another year, another trip to Utah! I am exhausted. We are somewhere between St. Louis and Albuquerque, and I am sandwiched between my two good friends who are getting in their zzz’s. I really want to succumb to the sleep but I MUST get some work done first.

Strangely, I’m still waiting for the excitement to kick-in. I think I’m just happy that I’m all packed and enroute, surrounded by good company, and ready to meet up with my ski / snowboard family. I guess I’m not as excited right now for a variety of reasons. Several times over the past few weeks, I’ve thought to myself whether I should go or not go, but in the end, this has become an annual tradition, and well, I guess it’s hard to let go of that. Gosh a couple years ago, I still made the trek and hit the slopes despite just having knee surgery 5 months earlier. And plus… our ski family…there’s a good handful of us who have gone together since ’06, and then every year some new friends come along and join us. So to not go, felt kind of like I’d be breaking an unwritten family contract. Ok, maybe I think too much…

But I guess this year there’s just a bit on my mind. 1) lift tix are expensive and I shouldn’t be spending that kind of money right now; and 2) I kind of hurt my leg a couple weeks ago playing soccer and I guess you could say I’m a little worried about it. I spoke to my ortho’s assistant yesterday, but I couldn’t really hear anything she was saying. All I heard was “sorry to be the bearer of bad news”… but I have not a clue what the bad news was… so… I guess I will try to be optimistic and blissfully ignorant. I think she was just saying that the doc is out of town?? I have no idea… In the back of my mind, I guess I’m bit pessimistic. I guess I’ve had a few too many injuries in the past and I just don’t have a great feeling. I guess I will try to be careful… have fun… and enjoy the times regardless. But because I keep thinking about those things, it’s kind of put a damper on my excitement… but I’m sure once I get on the snow, it will be different… I hope… I do not want to sit in the lodge and sip hot cocoa all day, and I hope and pray that does not happen.

Ok, back to work. Almost in Albuquerque… then on to the great Salt Lake.

No comments: