Sunday, August 8, 2010

Calcutta Day 12 - August 8, 2010

Rob left us last night.  Grace and I were pretty sad.  We truly have become a tight team in our short time working together.  We are so thankful for that.

Today is Grace and my last full day.  Our flight leaves first thing in the morning tomorrow (Monday).  We had the privilege of joining our friends and family at church again.  Once again, all we had to do was wake-up and walk downstairs.  How convenient.

During the worship, Shajan slipped me a note asking me to say "something" to the congregation.  Uhh...  something about...  we've been asked to say stuff on the fly a lot the past couple weeks but this was in front of an entire congregation, some of whom had no idea what we were doing and such. Nonetheless, whatever I said I cannot recall, but it really is easy in some sense to get up and say something because EMC truly has blessed us in allowing us to work with them.  Everyone we met was and continues to be an inspiration.  We will really miss them.

After church, Shajan and Aunty Premila and family invited us out to lunch.  Truly a treat for us!  It was fun meeting their families and getting to know them more intimately.  

Grace and I then ventured back via metro to attempt some shopping.  We didn't have time this trip to get small gifts and such for friends and family so we were hoping we'd be able to get a little something.  I love the people of Calcutta.  They are so eager to go out of the way to help.  Granted, we never succeed in locating where we are attempting to based on the help of the kind people, but the extra effort they go to to help us is so appreciated.

We met up with Kavi, Aunty Premila's daughter for tea/coffee at night by the Y.  It was great to get to know her more as well.  Afterwards, we offered to take some things back to the US for her, so we went back to their home to grab it.  I felt kind of bad popping in so late.  But again, another treat being able to spend more time with Kavi and Aunty Premila.  Aunty Premila is learning Bengali so we came in as she was completing her Bengali homework!  I don't know why, but it was inspiring for me to see this amazing woman who does so much running an organization that touches so many lives... for her to make the time to study was really inspiring.  Hopefully next time I go to India, I'll also have some Bengali down and we can have a conversation in Bengali!  I just need a Bengali teacher now - let me know if you know anyone who can teach me!  

Someone we did not get to meet in person this trip, and someone we will not meet until we get called to Heaven is Mr. Pavamani - Aunty Premila's late husband, Kavi's father, the founder of EMC, the mentor and inspiration of so many people that we met working with EMC these past couple weeks, and the heart and soul of EMC that continues despite his physical presence not being there.  Despite not having met him in person, we truly feel we did actually meet him.  His spirit lives in in the lives and of the projects of EMC.  We heard so much about him and saw so much of him through the people we met, people who's lives have completely changed as a result of his encouragement and support.  I feel him and his spirit already even though I've never met him in person.  God had greater plans for Him, and I know that one day I'll get to meet this wonderful man, a true servant that loved and lived the gospel.  

Sad to leave our friends and family in Calcutta but I know I'll be back soon.

No comments: