Friday, April 6, 2012

"Good" Friday and the Father's Cup

I struggle with this day being called "Good" Friday.  I guess you can say that what God did in that day, the transferrance of sin from the multitude over to His one and only perfect and holy son... was good for the multitude... but it just doesn't sit well with me that me, being one of the multitude, would call this a good day.  Maybe it's just me... how can I?  A day that Jesus was flogged and hung on a cross and died... a day that my issues, my problems, my sins were whipped and nailed into Jesus.  I struggle to call it "good" friday.  But I don't doubt the beauty of God's restorative work in our lives... and I know that could only be possible through the death of His son.

A friend had posted this article from the desiring God blog that illustrates Jesus' last day on Earth.   I warn you it is a painful read, but an important one that provides some helpful imagery and emotion to the physical pains that Jesus went through.  For me, my heart wrenched as i read it... as  I pictured His skin being ripped off, thought about that cross that Jesus died... for me... that's not fair that he would have to do that for me... I am the guilty one..  I don't deserve this love He gives so graciously... the cost for such a sacrifice... wow... who am i but a hypocrite.  who am i but a betrayer.  who am i but a flaky child who doesn't know what or whom she loves more.  who am i to deserve such love.  and yet, you call me your child.  wow.

thank you for sending your son.  Jesus I'm sorry for the pain I inflicted upon you.  I'm sorry that even though my mind knows... my actions don't follow.  I betray you... I break promises to you... I don't love you enough... I often love the world more.  i don't even know what it means to give it all to you... and yet you still love me and give me all.  i'm sorry for not even being sorry enough... thank you for accomplishing the mission.  thank you.

link to the post:
The Father's Cup (Good Friday)

No comments: