Wednesday, November 23, 2011

wisdom of a 4 year old


today we visited one our loan recipients who is using her loan to purchase school supplies to support the pre-k school that she began in the early 2000s.  the woman started this school because she saw these children milling around with little to no family support.  she knew the value of education.  she knew the importance of early education... so she started a preschool.

as we walked in and out of classrooms, the teacher would ask for volunteers to stand up and introduce themselves to use. several kids got up and boldly and confidently shared their name and some other personal infromation.  "my name is... my teacher's name is... my mother's name is... (one cute boy said 'my father's name is dad')... i want to be a..."  i was so impressed by how well spoken these young children were.  

one litle girl in the 4/5 year old class said/recited/sang "you can touch my head, my hair, my shoulders, but you cannot touch my body, no no no".  wow, i was not expecting such a young girl to know this... but it's the reality of life and if they're not taught it at school, then who will be there to protect them if someone ever tried to hurt them.

amazing principal, teacher, mother, entrepreneur...

heading back to jo-burg tomorrow... celebrating Thanksgiving in transit to Dubai and India.  First Thanksgiving away from home, but my family is scattered all around the world this year so timing could not be better for this trip and a short trip to India.  I mean, not that india is close to S.Africa or anything but the opportnity availed and well, the rest is history.  looking forward to being with my Indian family in a couple of days.

No comments: