Friday, January 15, 2010

Praying for Haiti

God my heart cries out for the people of Haiti. I am overwhelmed by the tragedy and the sense of my own helplessness.  I've donated, but I want to do more... I've prayed and I must continue praying.  I must trust the power of prayer, but I can't help but want to be there with my own arms and legs, helping to dig people out and hugging those who have lost so much but have made it. 

I've been watching CNN and Nightline continuously for the past however many hours - the scenes continue to wrench at my heart.  Last night I saw a video clip that brought tears, but this time, tears of joy... as through this desperation, the Haitian people, having no where to sleep but the streets, gathered together to sing praises to God... despite the devastation and all that they had lost... to praise despite their circumstances.  Wow.

I'm also touched by the global community that has come together to help Haiti. Search and rescue, medical, and other experts and personnel from all around the world... China, Brazil, European nations, Russia, US... and many others... joining together to help.  I pray for unity among them all... that they could work together effectively to bring the most help to the Haitian people. Truly... a uniting of nations at work.

And a final thought, amidst all of this devastation and sadness and the few glimmers of joy, the thought that is keeping me up right now... how do we prioritize the issues and needs of our world.  The crises our world faces every day is tremendous.  I can't say to a child starving and freezing to death on the streets of Philadelphia that I must first take care of another problem going on in the world. A life is a life. I suppose the answer is just that - you can prioritize the immediacy of the need, but you can't prioritize human lives. It's not business planning.  Anyways, lots of things going through my mind right now.. but to sum it up... i wish i could physically do more to help.  continue praying everyone... and donating to reputable organizations working there now... worldvision... samaritan's purse... red cross... lots of others I'm sure.

No comments: