Friday, April 10, 2009

Kaohsiung & Kenting - Beaches of Taiwan

We just returned back from a nice relaxing trip, first to Kaohsiung and then to the Southern coast of Taiwan - Kenting. My cousin moved to Taiwan last year and started a test prep'ish school (more than just test prep but you get the gist) in Kaohsiung. We jumped on the bullet train from Taipei and arrived in Kaohsiung about an hour and a half later, hung out and got a taste of his life. We went to Modern Toilet for dinner that night - twas quite entertaining. I mean, while you eat, you sit on a toilet and depending on what you order, you are likely going to eat out of a toilet (or a sink), and well, if you don't for whatever reason, you eat ice cream that looks like poo from a squatty toilet. Yes, it was quite wonderfully disgusting? How else do you describe it. It was fun though. We had a great time. The kind of humor my family enjoys. Then we played some guitar hero at his place, and I introduced the wonderful game of blokus to my cousin.

The next morning a driver came to pick us up for a day long drive down and tour of the Kenting area - the Southern coast of Taiwan. It was prettier than I expected. My dad had set my expectations low reminding me that it's not Hawaii or the Caribbean. I had Jersey shore in my mind, so I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in Kenting for a couple of nights, vegged at the pool and beach for one of the days, and the next day went hiking through some national forest with lots of interesting trees and caves that we wandered through. Then headed back to Kaohsiung where we jumped onto the bullet train back to Taipei.

pictures to come....

1 comment:

Holly Cummings said...

I loved visiting Kenting, and I thought those crazy trees in that park were so cool!

Modern Toilet sounds wacky. When I was in Taichung, there was a restaurant with a prison theme -- they put you in black and white striped jumpsuits and put shackles on you. And a friend just alerted me to the existence of The Clinic in Singapore (http://www.freshmd.com/fresh_md/2009/04/the-clinic-restaurant.html).

Hope you're enjoying your trip!